Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Scientific Life



It was a frigidly cold January night when I joined the local astronomy club in Sharon, MA for a night of stargazing on the Moose Hill property, the highest and clearest point in town.  We had formed a small circle in the parking lot, each of us tending to our own telescope, ranging from my small Celestron StarSeeker to the six foot tall Dobsonian which we all hoped to take a peek through before the night was over.  With few visible objects in the night sky and a cloud front rolling in, most of us settled on training our scopes on the Pleiades, a magnificent cluster of blue supergiant stars visible by the naked eye and even more brilliant through a magnified lens.  As the evening wore on, though, even the shimmering scene of blazing stars four hundred lightyears away lost its vigor, and little by little people began contemplating calling it a night.

It was around that time that suddenly, without warning, the sky lit up as if a huge overhead neon light had been switched on.  Hot white brightness filled the sky, and our eyes were immediately drawn upward to see something unexpected: a burning meteor flying through the atmosphere.  As we all silently gazed at this astronomical rarity, time seemed to slow down, seconds feeling like minutes, or more.  Eventually the meteor passed, disappearing far into the distance and eventually behind the tree line, never to be seen again, but undoubtedly to be remembered by all there that evening for years to come.

I first saw a shooting star during my freshman year of high school when I stayed up late to watch a meteor shower.  But that night atop Moose Hill was the first time I ever witnessed such a miraculous fireball streaking through the sky, and if I never see another one I will still count myself lucky for ever experiencing such a site.  It is for reasons like this that I am such a passionate fan of science, for one never knows what sort of wonders are waiting to be discovered, be it a group of amateur astronomers lucky enough to see a shooting star in all its glory, or a team of physicists discovering new particles or new planets and enriching our vision of the universe on its smallest and grandest of scales.  No matter how much we think we know about it, the universe, simply put, is the great unknown, and science is our doorway into that vast realm.

My primary focus studying science has always been physics, yet even within that discipline my interests have always been quite varied, ranging from astronomy to particles to the forces of nature.  I am intrigued and impressed by how physics concepts are utilized by so many other of branches of science that, as far as I am concerned, it might as well be considered the foundation of all sciences.  However, as much as physics has explained over the past several centuries – from gravity and the motion of the planets to quantum mechanics, and so much more – I remain fascinated by the many questions left unanswered, the many mysteries left to be solved, and the many avenues yet to be explored.

Staring up into a starlit sky I cannot help but feel immensely small in comparison to the entirety of existence.  And yet this scene brings me great comfort.  Each star in itself is a roiling display of the complexities of physics at work, and it is miraculous to think that I can be connected to these points of space, separated by hundreds or even thousands of lightyears by no more than the tiny stream of photons passing through my eye.  Simply trying to comprehend the vastness of space, or the hugeness of such creations as stars, nebulas, and galaxies, is daunting, but buried within all the scientific measurements and observation is an ethereal beauty, a cosmic painting with countless details for us to appreciate and revere.  In comparison to the universe, I know I am tiny, but I do not feel insignificant.  Rather, I feel like a small yet integral part of a much larger, far more interesting structure, and I am blessed to be allowed to glimpse even a fraction of the eternity it has to offer.

And if the vastness of space is not enough to excite me, the notion that I am made from the tiniest of building blocks, the same atoms which permeate the air and give foundation to the ground below me, that give birth to stars and encode the DNA of my fellow life forms, brings endless wonder to my life.  I am amazed to think that the core of my being is a thriving metropolis of particle interactions, and it tests the limits of my comprehension to imagine the quantum collisions that have taken place just to produce my physical self.  The microscopic world is a universe beyond sight, teaming with mysteries which defy logic but nevertheless grant us the very foundation of our reality.  To think that with each touch, each breath, I am trading my atoms with the environment around me, or that the essential who in who I am exists somewhere between the bonds of molecules making up my brain, might make my life suddenly seem rather fragile, even insignificant.  However, as far as I can see, it is a miracle how mere balls of energy verging on nonexistence can come together to shape the world, including us, and I choose to celebrate how I owe my very being to the laws of physics in action.

To me, science is far more than mathematical equations and measurements.  It’s a beautiful expression of reality that allows us to not only see but also ponder, reflect, and come to sense with the very essence of what makes the universe, and everything inside of it, the way it is.  That is why I have chosen to be a science writer, in order to share this passion with as wide an audience as possible.  Although my true interest remains with physics, I have contemplated science from many angles, from biology to chemistry to geology, and more, and though I cannot count myself an expert in any one field, I have discovered within myself a yearning desire to learn, to better myself through knowledge, and above all else to make that knowledge available to others.  As a journalist, my goal is to take the opportunity to interview notable scientists about the many facets of scientific research and discovery as possible, and in that way become as much a student as a writer.  The writing I produce, I can only hope, will not only interest readers but also encourage them to pursue their own explorations in any of the numerous fields science has to offer (if they have not done so already), and by doing so contribute to the vast wealth of knowledge which is the scientific realm.  My goal, in the meantime, is to keep the conversation going.  I hope people like what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment